I have been in search for the best way to make pizza. I was specifically looking for something that is quick and easy, that I can whip up in under 30 minutes, that is also delicious, and isn’t store bought. I know, that is a lot to ask from a pizza, right? Well, I found it, and I am going to share the recipe with you! The best part of this is that the pizza base is only 2 ingredients. Thank me later.
- 1 cup self-raising flour (about 150g)
- 1 cup any plain yoghurt (about 150g)
Mix your self-raising flour and yoghurt in a bowl using a spoon or spatula, until fully combined.
Once combined, dust a clean work surface with flour and transfer to the floured surface.
Knead the dough until it is smooth. The kneading should take about 5 minutes. If it gets sticky, lightly flour your hands to avoid the dough sticking to them.
Once you are done kneading, form a round ball with your dough.
Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough into a pizza base, as thin or thick as you want (You can roll it into a circle or a square, it’s up to you, and it really doesn’t have to be a perfect shape).
You’ll then want to carefully transfer it to a greased baking/oven tray.
- 50g tomato paste (About 3 tablespoons)
- 50g tomato sauce (About 3 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic (You can substitute this for garlic powder/garlic flakes)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon mixed herbs (or any herbs you prefer)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
In a pan, on medium heat, add a 1/4 cup of water, and let it heat up.
Once the water starts bubbling, add tomato paste, tomato sauce, crushed garlic, extra virgin olive oil, mixed herbs and the sugar, and mix together. (The sugar balances out the acidity of the tomato sauce and tomato paste.)
Add more water if necessary, to loosen the sauce. Careful not to add too much water, you don’t want it to be runny.
Simmer the sauce for 5-8 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
You can get creative here and use whatever toppings you prefer, or whatever you have at your disposal. I was making chicken and mushroom pizza, so here is what I used.
- Grated cheddar & mozzarella cheese
- Mushrooms (sliced)
- Green peppers (sliced)
- Onions (sliced)
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- Any seasoning you prefer for your chicken
- 1 ripe avocado (optional)
Season the chicken pieces with your favourite spices and fry on medium heat until about 80% cooked (The chicken will continue cooking in the oven.)
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
Assembling The Pizza
Pour your pizza sauce on the pizza base that you placed on your greased oven/baking tray, and gently spread the sauce to cover the entire base using a spoon.
Place it into the preheated oven for about 5 minutes. (This allows the pizza base to precook.)
Once you have precooked the base, add the cheddar cheese, sliced onions, sliced green peppers, chicken pieces, sliced mushrooms, and top it all of with mozzarella cheese.
Place in the oven and allow to cook for about 15 minutes, until the cheese has caramelized.
Once it’s fully cooked, add your freshly sliced avocado on top, and voila! You are done.
- Any type of plain yoghurt will work. If you want the pizza dough to have a crunchier texture that’s similar thin crust pizza (like I do), use fat-free greek/plain yogurt. The full cream/double cream plain/greek yogurt creates a fluffier and thicker texture.
- You can use whatever toppings you prefer, just make sure to precook any meat you want to use as a topping.
- You can also use whatever pizza sauce you prefer.
I hope you try this!